The House of Mangaldas Girdhardas (MG for short) was the home of Mr. Mangaldas Girdhardas - amongst Ahmedabad's foremost businessmen and philanthropist of the early 20th century. He started his career as a store-keeper in a textile mill. Within a decade, he became its owner and soon after, he was over seeing an empire comprising of a clutch of mills and other related businesses. With his increasing influence in the community, he decided to build a new residence for himself and his family in the year 1924, across from the famous Sidi Sayed Mosque. He died soon after in 1928. By 1950, his entire family moved to another location, leaving this house vacant. A large portion of the house was requisitioned by the government between 1955 and 1960 and the rest was used by the accounts offices of the family. One half of the house, that is covered by bill boards and has not been restored, belonged to his brother, Chimanlal Girdhardas and his descendents continue to be its landlords. In 1994, the House of MG was taken over byVictoria Capital Ventures Ltd., a company managed by Abhay Mangaldas, great grand son of MG, for renovation and reuse.
Spread over a 2500 square yard plot, the building has a built up an area of approximately 25,000 square feet. Its architecture is a confluence of different styles. An ornamental façade with a Baroque influence, Italian mosaic and marble flooring, stained glass windows, courtyards and passages spread over multiple levels and asymmetric rooms. It is a building with surprises around every corner. The aim of the project is to adaptively reuse the spaces to cater to a modern lifestyle without losing either the historical perspective or the traditional customs of a Gujarati home.
The master plan, right from the start, was to make The House of MG a Heritage Hotel complex. The first restaurant, Agashiye, started in June 1999 on the terrace of the building. The Green House, a courtyard café, began operations in October 1999 followed by ‘The HBM Lounge’, a banquet facility, in February 2001. As the tenants vacated the third floor in 2002, work on the hotel began and by November 2003, ten rooms were ready. Late 2004 saw an additional of two more rooms, with one of them a ‘Full Service Apartment’ designed for long stays.
The Lotus Pool, comprising of an indoor swimming pool, health club and restaurant serving international snacks was added on September 23, 2006. This unique space is open to all patrons of The House of MG. Guests can enjoy a swim and a snacks from 7AM to 11PM. Locker facility is available at the venue.